For ministers, Bible study leaders, youth and childrens’ workers, pastoral workers etc:
- Tell everyone that God is a missionary God, God sent his only Son as a missionary, and God’s Spirit is a missionary Spirit!
- Teach the big missionary narrative of the Bible: God’s plan for people from every nation and language and people to worship the Lamb.
Teach the big missionary narrative of the Bible: God’s plan for people from every nation and language and people to worship the Lamb.
- Whatever part of the Bible you are preaching or teaching, emphasise its missionary emphasis and significance.
- Engage your church in mission including cross-cultural mission in your local community; train them to do it, lead them in doing it: and encourage people to do mission in their community and work places.
- Encourage people to read missionary biographies of male and female missionaries, married and single missionaries, contemporary missionaries and missionaries from the past.
- Increase and communicate your own missionary passion. Tell people about it, and tell them how it shapes your life and your priorities. Tell them what you do about it.
- Ensure that God’s global mission is an integral part of your church’s life: in intercessions, Sunday services, Bible studies, youth and childrens’ programs, prayer meetings, womens’ and mens’ ministry, and every ministry, and on your notice board.
- Keep your church informed about what is happening today in Christian mission and church life in nations around the world.
- Encourage your church to support missionary societies. Commend their ministries, advertise their activities, get a link missionary, support them with prayer and finances.
- Encourage every person to join a missionary society, to pray, give, and attend their events.
- Encourage people you think would make good missionaries by talking with them, praying with them, and encouraging them to contact an appropriate missionary society.
- If church members become missionaries, support them long-term, adopt them as link missionaries, tell the church about their ministries, pray for them, care for them, individually and as a church.
- If no members of your church are serving as missionaries, adopt some link missionaries from a missionary society. Tell the church about their ministries, pray for them, care for them, individually and as a church.
- Include global mission giving through missionary societies in your church budget.
- Include a report at your annual church meeting about what the church has done to support and participate in global mission.
[The John Piper quote which is the basis of the title is: ‘There are three options when it comes to missions: Go, send or disobey’.]